Are we all perhaps linked by invisible bonds? Do the actions of one affect others, even if those others are far away? Our lives and the universe itself may be all part of a single mechanism in which all creatures and events are 'entangled' with one another.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Support Zach

I came across this blog on MySpace.com from a 16-year old boy named Zack in Tennessee. He recently came out to his parents and they shipped him off to a "Christian Camp" to have him "cured" of his gayness...this to me is absolutely outrageous! Many people have offered their support to him--he's gotten over 700 comments--but I think anyone who reads this should also go there to show their support for Zach.
Zach posted the rules for this so-called "camp" on his site and they sound very much like the typical brainwashing techniques used by religious cults or those used on prisoners-of-war. Do these idiots really think they can brainwash someone into being heterosexual--yeah, I guess they do. But all they'll succeed in doing is severe emotional damage to this poor kid. Hopefully, though he will be strong enough to resist their attempts to "cure" him.
Now I am an atheist and definitely no fan of religion but this kind of religious fanaticism is just plain insane as far as I am concerned. This IS the 21st century, not the Dark Ages! What's next--should we return to burning people at the stake because they don't conform to someone's particular beliefs?
I know many people truly believe in God and their religion, whatever that might be, and I respect that and don't try to impose my atheism on them. I'm not trying to offend anyone but it makes my blood boil when I hear of such nonsense being touted in the name of religion.
All Zach's parents will succeed in doing is losing their son because if they refuse to accept him for who is, when he's old enough to leave home, they may never hear from him again. How anyone can treat their children this way is a mystery to me.
Anyway. please show your support for Zach, we need to be there for each other. Janus Online has more info. posted about this camp. The Queer Action Coalition in Memphis is planning a protest today at the camp (called Love In Action) and more info. is available at their site.

No comments:

Post a Comment