Are we all perhaps linked by invisible bonds? Do the actions of one affect others, even if those others are far away? Our lives and the universe itself may be all part of a single mechanism in which all creatures and events are 'entangled' with one another.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Christmas In June !



It's coming, it's coming! Yay! Checked a few minutes ago, and saw that it's on the truck to be delivered today.

What am I so excited about? My new computer I ordered last week! Finally I can give this old machine a little vacation and give myself a little less frustration. This old computer I rescued from the curb a couple years ago (where it was waiting to be picked up by the trash collectors) has served me well, but it just is showing its age. Pretty slow, prone to odd little glitches, and with a small hard drive. Sorta like me, in a way.

I had a nice laptop that died an early death when the internal fan quit and the motherboard got fried. So since last August I have been struggling along with "old faithful" here. Haven't been able to do many things I enjoyed doing on the internet--even watching videos is annoying as the video lags behind the audio, 'cause this computer has a slow (by today's standards) CPU.
I've been running Ubuntu Linux; Windows XP ran way too slow and froze up. The new machine has Windows Vista, but being the geek that I am, I plan to put Ubuntu on it, too, and have a dual-boot system. I've come to really like Linux since I've been using it, and the Ubuntu distribution is much easier to use than some older versions of Linux. And it looks much like Windows, so it's not hard to get accustomed to.

Features of my new computer:
# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/COA
# AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3 GHz processor
# 2 GB system memory
# 320 GB SATA hard drive
# DVD±RW Drive

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 is a dual-core processor.
I also added an NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2 video card.

My old computer:
# Ubuntu Linux 6.10 LTS (Dapper Drake)
# Pentium 900Mhz CPU
# 512 MB system memory (I added 256MB to the original 256MB)
# 40 GB IDE hard drive
# DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive

Plus I have a 250GB external hard drive, an external LG DVD±RW Super-Multi Drive, a 17-inch widescreen LCD monitor, a scanner, & a cheap LexMark printer. Haven't even used the scanner since I bought it because I couldn't figure out how to get it running under Linux (trouble finding the right driver).
I'm not trying to brag here--just the geek in me, excited to have a new toy to play with. I'll keep the old machine, just as backup, at least for awhile. I'm working on another old computer to give to a friend who has never owned one so he can become more "computer literate".

So all-in-all, once everything is installed and set up, I should have a great system and can spend even more time surfing the web and "geeking out", instead of having to go out into the icky {ewww} "real world".

No comments:

Post a Comment