Are we all perhaps linked by invisible bonds? Do the actions of one affect others, even if those others are far away? Our lives and the universe itself may be all part of a single mechanism in which all creatures and events are 'entangled' with one another.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tuesday TimeWasters

This week I have two Timewasters and couldn't decide which one to put up so figured I'd use both of them.

The first is a version of the old "Breakout"-type game, but with a creepy sort of twist. Instead of shooting balls at bricks, you fire skulls and catch magic potions to get 'special' powers. It's called "Mortanoid" and you can download a copy of the game if you want. It has 33 levels, but I only got through the first 3. My reflexes are just not that good, I guess!

For someone like me with slow reflexes, the next game might be better. It's just a version of "Battleship", but it nicely done, I think. Of course it is named "Battleships" and plays just like it's namesake. Place your ships and try to find & destroy the enemy ships. It shows a download option on the game, but I couldn't get it to work. I did find a round-about way to download a link to the game which allows me to open it in a browser window to play it without going to the website. This method also creates a larger version of the game grids which are easier to see & play. I use Firefox as my browser so I don't know if there is a way to do this in Explorer or not. (I'll try to see if it can be done__if so I'll post an update).

Here's the method I used if you want to try it:
1-Using Firefox, go to the game using the link above. (you'll be at the opening game screen)
2-In the browser toolbar, select the option "Tools" (Or you can right-click & bring up the menu)
3-Now select "Page Info" .(This will open a dialog box)
4-Select the "Media" tab. (You'll see a list of address items that are on that webpage)
5-Scroll down the list until you see the word "Embed" on the right side of the list.
6-It will look like this: http://www.2dplay.com/battleships/battleships.swf Embed
7-Highlight that line by clicking on it.
8-Now go down to where it says "Save As" and click.
9-You can now save this link to your computer. (An icon will appear with the name 'battleships.swf ')
10-To run the game , right-click on the icon,select "Open with" ....Firefox.

This will open the game in your browser!!
I know it's kinda complicated, but it works...the nice thing about using this method is that once you learn how to do it, it can also be used to get images, even videos that you normnally can't download using the 'Save image as" function. Some websites disable the 'right-click' feature to keep you from getting images off the site. This method bypasses that entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment