Are we all perhaps linked by invisible bonds? Do the actions of one affect others, even if those others are far away? Our lives and the universe itself may be all part of a single mechanism in which all creatures and events are 'entangled' with one another.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mid-Summer Update

Pheeew! Its really hot here today! Almost 90 degrees with high humidity, which according to the weather report, makes it 'feel' like its about 103 degrees. Actually, I like the hot weather but the humidity is hard to take. The weather is the main reason I haven't been posting much lately. I've been spending most of my days outside enjoying the nice weather because it won't be long before the cold winds are blowing again. And I hate winter! Summer seems to go by so fast while winter lingers forever.
Most days I've been leaving my apartment early in the morning, returning home in the afternoon to shower and change clothes and go back out for the evening. I don't have air-conditioning in my apartment, so its best to find a cool place outdoors to spend the day. Usually I'm down by the Hudson river or in a local park, or take a trip to a shopping mall to get out of the heat.
Had my cable TV turned off for the summer to save money so I have had more time to read and have finished 5 books so far. Also have seen 5 movies at the theater which is a record number for me. Last year I saw only one all year long! I plan to list the books I've read and the movies I've seen in a later post, maybe give a brief review of each. I will say that my favorite of the movies I've seen was "Howl's Moving Castle"--a Japanese anime film about a young woman who is cursed by a witch and turned into a 90-year-old woman. She then has to find the wizard "Howl" to help turn her back to normal. Howl lives in a castle that walks along on these chicken-like legs. There's a lot of funny scenes in the movie. I love Japanese anime because the stories are usually a bit weird and you never can be certain what strange twists the story might take.

Also I'm been catching up on my comic book reading--got quite a few I never got around to reading when I first bought them. So basically, I've just been goofing off all summer :) But work will return soon enough so I want to enjoy my time off.

I may be moving next month though so I've got to start getting ready, packing up stuff and getting rid of crap I don't want. The guys who own the building I live in plan to completely redo the place. The front of the building needs to be rebuilt and they want to redo the inside as well. But they also own the house next door to me and one of the tenants there is moving out, so they said I could look at that apartment August 1 and decide if I want to move in there. That will be a lot of work but at least if I take that apartment, I won't have far to go.

One last item--next Tuesday, I'm going to see a movie with a group of people I've never met. I found a site on the internet called Meetup Groups, which is different groups of people who share similiar interests, such as movies, books, politics,etc. I joined the Albany Cinema Group and we'll be meeting next week at the theater--don't know yet what film we are seeing--we vote on that to decide. Now for me this is an unusual thing to do as I spend my time alone mostly. But I felt I should try to make an effort to get out more and meet others, so this is a small step towards that goal.

Well, that's it for now...I'm going to get ready to go out...there's a play being put on in the park tonight, "South Pacific", and while I'm not crazy about musicals, I think I will go over to see it. It looks like it going to rain right now, but it will probably just be a quick thunderstorm that should move on before before the play starts at 8 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment